ABOUT US

Located in the historic Pike Place Market, Isadora’s has specialized in exquisite antique jewelry for 38 years. Our discriminating collection includes pieces from the early 1800’s through the 1950’s, without a reproduction to be found. Our precious pieces are sent to North American Gem Lab for independent appraisals. We invite you to call our toll free number for applicable discounts. On many of our pieces, we are able to offer between 10-25% off of appraisal value.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things . . .

Because we at Isadora’s love to share what we are passionate about, we are instituting a new regular feature in our blog, “These are a few of my favorite things”, in which one of our staff members will talk about five of their favorite pieces of jewelry. So here are mine!

Mid 20th Century Yellow Gold Necklace
If I had to name one essential jewelry item I would say it is a yellow gold necklace.  And this one is particularly beautiful.  It has a big wow factor, which I have to admit is a must for me, with gold links that drape beautifully over the neck.  It is also a very good length and it has a subtle graduation which I adore.  And one of my very favorite things about this particular necklace is that, while it looks heavy, the links are hallow so it is really comfortable to wear.  


Victorian Men's Bloodstone Ring


Lately I have really been digging men’s wear for women, much to my husband’s dismay, as I keep stealing his cardigans.  But there is something sophisticated and sexy about a Coco Chanel appropriation of men’s clothing for women.  And when I see this ring I think of one of the recent Chanel bio pics “Coco Avant Chanel”.  There is a scene in the movie in which Chanel’s hands are bare except for a striking, masculine onyx pinky ring.  I’m sure that scene was fantastic but I couldn’t stop looking at that ring.  And I actually think this bloodstone ring is more handsome than the one in the movie.


Victorian Silver Bangle

So many times I have people come into the store, fall in love with a piece of jewelry, and then profess surprise when I tell them it dates from the Victorian era.  To their eyes the piece they are looking at is too exotic, to modern, too fantastic for the Victorians.  I think this because one of the sterotypes of the Victorian era is a highly corseted women wearing fussy hearts and flowers.  And it was that era.  But it was also the era of Sarah Bernhardt and many other women terribly exotic and interesting.  I love this bracelet for its Victorian ferocity and I would like to meet a Victorian woman like that.


French Sodalite Rosary

I love color.  And sodalite is one of the prettiest colored stones I know.  This rosary makes me think of the beautiful blues used in Titian and Renaissance paintings, from when they painted with ultramarine the price of gold.


Victorian Turquoise Buckle Ring

I love turquoise and I love almost anything with a buckle motif so what could be more special than a turquoise buckle ring.  This one is particularly enchanting with its subtle engraving.  Plus it is hallmarked, so we know it was made in Birmingham, England in 1868.  I love anything from which I can glean a bit of the past.  (On an interesting historical side note, the hallmark for Birmingham is a little anchor.  This is funny because Birmingham is no where near the water but the office in charge of assuring things were hallmarked correctly was located in a building called “The Anchor”.)

And there you have it, a few of my favorite things.  Please check back to hear from our other staff members.

Miko


No comments:

Post a Comment